Sunday 8 January 2017

Vanilla Trifle

Vanilla Trifle

Usually I make everything from scratch, but recently I found a box of custard mix that I wanted to try. It was a vanilla custard made by National ( http://www.dmartsupermarket.com/dry-groceries/miscellinious/custard-powder-jelly/national-vanilla-custard-powder-300-grm.html) that turned out really well. I found it at my local No Frills Grocery store. I did however reduce the amount of sugar by half and it was perfect for my family. The ingredient quantities are for the brand that I used and should only be used as a guide. Quantities below are for a triple batch. 




Ingredients

1 vanilla cake, recipe found here:http://barbsplantbasedkitchen.blogspot.ca/p/vanilla-cake.html

Custard

You will need about 10-11 cups of custard, so you may need to double or triple the recipe on the package. Remember these quantities are for a triple batch as per the brand that I used.
 
6 Tblsp custard powder, I used National Brand
6 cups plant based milk, I used silk brand soy milk
6 Tblsp sugar, depending on how sweet you like your dessert and if your milk has any sugar added.
3 tsp vanilla extract, optional

1- 2 bananas thinly sliced

Directions

Make the vanilla cake as directed and set aside to cool.

Cut cake into small pieces and set aside.

Cook custard as per package directions adding additional vanilla if desired, adjusting sugar to personal taste. My soy milk was sweetened so I cut the sugar by half the recommendation on the package. Be sure to use a large pan as the custard will increase in volume as it cooks.

To assemble trifle,  layer cake, custard, banana, custard, cake and custard.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment