Thursday 26 January 2017

Beet Soup

Beet Soup

There are so many ways to make beet soup. My Aunt, who was a wonderful cook, always made a clear beet broth and served it with tiny mushroom dumplings nestled into the bottom of the bowl every Christmas Eve. My soup is very different as it is loaded with vegetables, and while I have never tested it, I am sure a wooden spoon could stand upright on its own if inserted into the pot. I tend to make large quantities when I cook and this recipe is no exception. I use my 9L pot and it is filled almost to the top. I start boiling the beets the day before I want to make the soup.






Ingredients

5 lb beets, washed but left whole

1 1/2 cup onion, diced
1 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Tblsp garlic, minced

6 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into a bite size dice, about 6 cups
2 large carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp black pepper
3-6 tsp vegetable stock powder, or to taste

Directions

Place the beets in a very large pot and cover with water by about an inch. Cover and simmer until the beets are soft. This will take anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on the size of your beets.

Once the beets are cooked DO NOT DRAIN. Refrigerate the beets and the liquid overnight.

The next day, remove the beets from the liquid , being sure to reserve the broth.

Slip the skins off the beets and either grate or process in the food processor.

Return the beets to the broth. Start to heat the broth and beets.

Meanwhile, while the broth is heating:

Fry onion, mushroom and garlic until cooked. You may need to add a little water at the beginning. Once cooked all of the liquid should be evaporated.

Add the sliced cabbage to the broth and boil for about 10 minutes.

Add the potatoes, carrots, black pepper and vegetable stock powder to taste. Stir well and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Enjoy!





 



No comments:

Post a Comment